Wednesday, July 04, 2007

All American Mort

Randy had the right idea by researching Jimmy Woo since our Mort was the arch nemesis of the Asian-American super spy (and later member of S.H.I.E.LD.), exept that this is one of those rare cases where the hero appeared in the villian's comic, instead of the other way around. Last week's mort was Plan Chu, better known as "The Yellow Claw". The Yellow Claw was Atlas Comic's (the forerunner of Marvel) take on Fu Manchu. If you're like me, that probably doesn't mean a great deal. Yellow Claw was a scientific and mystical mad genius with plans to rule the world. He was also written with a bad Oriental accent and drawn with jaundiced skin because racial sensitivity was not a high priority for comic book creators in the fifties and sixties. Surprisingly, The Yellow Claw was brought back in the 2006-2007 miniseries Agents of Atlas, although it is there explained that his name is really the Golden Claw and not the Yellow Claw to get past some of the hang-ups with this character.
Okay, here is a special Independence Day mort for you, and one who proved himself to be quite the fighter in a recent issue of a Marvel Comic. No more hints; who is he?

3 Comments:

Blogger GliterallyScoot said...

Is that an old version of Warpath? Oh yeah, Chamber (#56 I think) is on the far left, the bright starburst light looking thing. He's not invisible. :-)

11:58 AM

 
Blogger KeeperOfBooks34 said...

Starburst?

I think the mort is Steve Rogers from Marvel 1602. I can't remember the name he was using in that one though. But that's my guess.

8:31 AM

 
Blogger GliterallyScoot said...

I mis-read and thought he said recent Xmen, not just recent Marvel. I'm a dork and randomly change things to interest me...lol...no really I think I already thought it was Warpath for some odd reason, so I read that as I skimmed the end. However this is American Eagle aka Jason Strongbow. In all the Marvel I've read lately, I haven't seen him. He must not be a mutant or encounter Ms. Marvel, FF, or SHIELD! :-)

9:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home